Here you will find answers to common questions concerning the Tennessee Community Services Agency and the services we provide. Browse through the F.A.Q. If you can't find the answer you need, feel free to give us a call or email us. We'd be happy to help answer your questions. After all, we are in business to serve our communities!
- Is TNCSA a State agency or a private, not-for-profit organization? TNCSA is neither a State agency nor a private, not-for-profit organization. TNCSA is considered to be a “political subdivision and instrumentality of the State” as defined in Tennessee Code Annotated 37-5-304. Per legislative statute, TNCSA is deemed to be acting in all respects for the benefit of the people of the state in the performance of essential functions and serves a public purpose through improving and otherwise promoting the well-being of the citizens of the state. TNCSA is linked administratively to the Tennessee Department of Finance and Administration. The Commissioner of Finance and Administration has authority to appoint the Executive Director of the TNCSA, with the concurrence of the Board of Directors.
- How is TNCSA funded? TNCSA does not receive a direct allocation of funding from the State budget to support our operations. We contract with various departments of the State of Tennessee as well as agencies and organizations to carry out the various programs and services across the state. Services may be provided statewide or tailored for a specific need in a specific area.
- Where are your headquarters? The headquarters office is located at 1604 West Reelfoot Avenue, Suite A, Union City, Tennessee, 38261. The contact telephone number is (731) 884-2630.
- Do you have any statewide programs? Yes, TNCSA administers programs like the Department of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Independent Support Coordination program and the Department of Children’s Services Advocacy and Mentoring program across Tennessee. TNCSA also provides a variety of county or region-specific programs based on local needs. You can click on the state map for information about your specific area and services provided.
- Can various departments of the State contract with TNCSA without having to issue an RFP or bid request? Departments of State government can negotiate contracts for services with TNCSA without having to go through a lengthy bid or Request for Proposal. Due to this exception, TNCSA has been able to provide for the immediate and critical needs of communities with only a few days preparation.
- Can Tennessee’s state agencies/departments contract with TNCSA for only certain regions or counties or do contracts have to be statewide? TNCSA can provide services statewide or only in designated areas, depending on the needs of the department or agency.
- Are TNCSA employees considered to be “State” employees? No, TNCSA employees are not State employees; although, they do enjoy similar benefits as those available to State employees. TNCSA employees participate in the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (TCRS), earn annual and sick leave benefits similar to those provided by the State, and participate in the State Health and Vision Insurance plans.
- Where are you located and how many employees does TNCSA have? The agency has seven locations across the state in Memphis, Union City, Jackson, Cookeville, Chattanooga, Knoxville and Johnson City and employs approximately 170 people (full time and part-time).
- How can I apply for a job with TNCSA? TNCSA posts available job vacancies on the TNCSA website, with local career centers and in some instances, in local newspapers. The agency values diversity in our workplace. Please visit our website often to learn of potential employment opportunities which might be of interest to you.
- Does TNCSA have a Board of Directors? If so, how can I participate on your Board? The TNCSA is governed by a 13-member Board of Directors with 12 being appointed by the State of Tennessee Governor and one being designated by the Governor. Persons interested in serving on the TNCSA Board should contact the Executive Director at the Headquarters Office, 1604 West Reelfoot Avenue, Suite A, Union City, TN, 38261, (731) 884-2630 or through e-mail at
for information about the appointment process and the contact person in the Governor’s Office of Boards and Commissions.
- What is the mission of the TNCSA? TNCSA has a broad mission to “serve citizens in need”. Our goal is to identify gaps in services within communities across the state and assist communities in meeting those needs.